Thursday, October 5, 2017

Law & Order SVU “Mood” Recap & Review



Special note: I’m still under the weather, so this is an abbreviated recap and review.

Law & Order SVU “Mood” was a decent episode, albeit uneven, with the case solved almost too quickly. The SVU discovered they had a serial rapist on their hands, only after discounting the first rape victim as a possible liar. It’s obvious that there is a drive to make Benson and Rollins more friendly towards each other. In this case,  they share their thoughts on the case with Benson taking Rollins’ advice that the victim isn’t as truthful as Benson wants to believe (thinking the victim may be one who must “make up fairy tales” just to get through the day). Luckily, during the course of the investigation,  Carisi sees a bracelet stolen by the rapist on the wrist of the suspect’s mother, and a chase ensues. (This bracelet scenario is reminiscent of a Law & Order (I think) episode where a stolen bracelet is spotted on the mother of the suspect.  UPDATE: I've been told it was an SVU episode titled "Soulless". ) The victim meets his death by falling off a building while trying to escape, Carisi unable to hang on. Case closed!

Benson, meanwhile, is being questioned by someone from the DA’s office about her treatment of Noah. Apparently Noah has whined that Benson works too much, and, coupled with his bruise discovered in last week’s episode, Benson looks like she is a child abuser. Of course, the investigator asks the question point blank if Benson abuses Noah, which is a dumb question to pose to any suspected abuser. What person would answer yes? When the investigator quizzes Benson on Dr. Lindstrom and William Lewis, this is Benson’s breaking point. She is forceful in her defense – she only briefly took her eyes off Noah - and it is clear that Benson is already reaching wits end on this issue. (Of course, children can be killed in seconds when one takes their eyes off them, but children can also make quick moves which can put them in jeopardy even when one IS watching them.)

Later, Benson hears that it was Brian Cassidy who may be the cause of these abuse allegations, and she heatedly confronts him in the street. Apparently Cassidy had loose lips when it came to the Lindstrom issue, and Benson is furious. This story arc is only starting folks, so hang on for the ride!

Note: a deleted scene has been added below.


Cast:
Mariska Hargitay - Lieutenant Olivia Benson
Ice-T - Detective Odafin “Fin” Tutuola
Kelli Giddish - Detective Amanda Rollins
Raúl Esparza - ADA Rafael Barba
Peter Scanavino - Detective Dominick “Sonny” Carisi, Jr.

Guest stars:
Dean Winters - Brian Cassidy
Amirah Vann - Marcia Morrisroe
Saxon Sharbino - Savannah Ross
Robbie Collier Sublett – Tom Williams
Christina Rouner –
Marion McCorry – Nancy Burns
Leah Curney – Taylor
Shannon Marie Sullivan – Anne Speer
Tommy Buck – Detective Dalsanto
Katy Grenfell – Emma Wilkinson
Spencer Hamp - Nick Collins
Michelle Eugene – Director
Ken Straus – General Manager
Kelly Klein – Vivian Stevens
Ryan Buggle – Noah Porter-Benson


Deleted scene






All Content (Recaps, Review, Commentary) Copyright © allthingslawandorder.blogspot.com unless otherwise noted

Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information, on All Things Law And Order.

Also, see my companion Law & Order site,These Are Their Stories.

7 comments:

Laurie F said...

I see both the plus and minus in this episode. The plus: They are trying to breathe some life into the episode with location shots and a bit of action. I like the feel. The minus - the writing in this episode wasn't great, the episode was predictable, and that rip-off from another SVU episode with the bracelet thing was lazy. I do appreciate that they are trying to add some conflict (Benson/Cassidy and Benson/The DA's office) but the Noah abuse story line already bores me. The Benson/Rollins thing feels...forced. The bottom line is that I didn't feel like I wasted an hour, so that's a plus.

Chris, I hope you feel better. I imagine it's rough doing the recaps when you're not well.

NAC said...

This really reminded me of a season 1 episode maybe called closure ?? With harper?? He steals jewellery and makes them shower !

Chris Zimmer said...

@Suzi - yes you're right. It sounded like that episode too!

Carrie Long said...

I have seen the premiere but will put my remarks when I gave rewatched it. With this episode, the case was too quick, but had a decent closing with that ending confrontation.

As for Benson. I applaud her heatedness when the DA investigator brings up Dr. Lindstrom and especially Lewis. That would have pissed me off just as highly as she was. In fact, I nearly screamed at the TV myself. Cassidy in my opinion betrayed Olivia by revealing that info ALLEGEDLY. Obviously she is not a child abuser, but I kinda fear the worst.

Brooke Shields comes in next Wednesday. I have a strong feeling we will come to despise her. I fear what she may stir up, as Olivia hasn't even gotten a stream of the kitchen sink yet. I'm gonna need a bus when this ride is over!

OhSusannah said...

I could swear that Brain Cassidy was long gone from Liv's life when Noah came into her life through proper channels. Yet he made the comment to her that she made a great mother. How would he know that for certain when he had only just come back from Florida and they had virtually no contact with each other?Was it just his opinion? Just curious.

Unknown said...

I got confused about the inhaler part.. just how did they find the third victim from the old ladys inhaler?
Was her dna on the inhaler?
Or was it in the offenders mouth and he transfered it to the inhaler?

Randomcomment said...

I wonder if Tom's mother knew about any of what he was doing. Carisi tried to save him but unsuccessful and Tom says tell my mom I love her. Interesting episode.