Thursday, December 13, 2007

Law & Order Locations: The New York County Supreme Courthouse Building


The New York Supreme Court itself is actually in more than one building, all located near Foley Square in New York City. But, one of those buildings stands out to fans of the Law & Order franchise. It’s the ubiquitous New York County Courthouse at 60 Centre Street. I wonder over the years how many times Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston) and his various ADAs have traipsed up and down those stairs, not to mention the occasional fictional defense attorney or criminal.

Here’s a little information about the building. The architect, Guy Lowell, was from Boston, and his original design for the building was round. After a construction delay, it was changed to the current hexagonal design, and in Roman classical style. Construction began in 1919, and the building was opened in 1929.

The stairs leading to the courthouse are 100 feet wide, reaching to Corinthian style columns, above which are the words of George Washington: “The true administration of justice is the firmest pillar of good government" In 1966, the building was designated a national landmark.
Of course, it’s a big landmark for Law & Order fans.


Aerial from Microsoft Virtual Earth



Check out my blog home page for the latest Law & Order information,
HERE!

Also, see my companion Law & Order site,
These Are Their Stories.

3 comments:

TeShann said...

I am a huge L&O fan...all of them and I am planning a vacation to New York just to see the locations used during filming. I had planned on keeping a notebook of locations as I watched each of the series; however, I have failed to do so. Do you know where I can find such list? You can email me at teshann68@yahoo.com

Thanks!! Its nice to find another junkie like me!!

Unknown said...

I was able to go to new York city this year (june) it was an AMAZING trip I plan to go again very soon, love law and order special victims. I really love law and order criminal intent also. Keep um coming.

Unknown said...

I will be visiting NYC with my grandchildren again and will be taking thembto see the courthouse and other situ's... would love to meet the cast of SVU.